What is a Crown?
Crowns are a long lasting and effective way of covering and strengthening a heavily filled or fractured tooth. They are essentially porcelain caps that go over the tooth and protect it from further damage while at the same time, serving to improve its appearance. We may recommend a crown when:
- A tooth is heavily filled and fragile
- A tooth is fractured and there isn’t enough tooth structure left to support a normal filling.
- After root canal treatment where the tooth is more prone to fracture.
- Covering a discoloured or oddly shaped tooth for cosmetic purposes
Crowning a tooth is a simple procedure where the tooth is slightly reduced to make space for the material and an impression (mould) is taken and sent to a dental laboratory. For interim function and aesthetics you will be fitted with a temporary crown.
Within a week or two the crown will be ready and all that is left is for the temporary crown to be removed and the final porcelain restoration to be cemented on. This is usually a straightforward and painless procedure.
At Dental One Craigieburn, we offer very affordable crowns made by one of the largest laboratories in Melbourne. In many cases, if you have dental insurance, most if not all the cost of one dental crown per year will be covered by your policy.
What is a Bridge?
A Bridge is an effective and long lasting way of filling a space created by missing teeth with natural looking porcelain teeth. A bridge relies on the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth to support a pontic which acts as a porcelain replacement tooth. Bridges are permanently cemented on and do not need to be taken in and out like a denture.
Advantages of Bridges:
- Permanently cemented so it is fixed and can’t move with function
- Porcelain allows for an excellent cosmetic result
- Will protect the adjacent teeth from fracture while replacing the missing tooth or teeth.
- Quick procedure, with a turnaround time of 1-2 weeks and little discomfort
Similar to a crown, the teeth around the space are prepared and a mould is taken and sent to the dental laboratory. A provisional bridge is made and within a week or two your final bridge will be ready to cement!
Please ask one of our friendly dentists at Dental One Craigieburn if you are a good candidate for a dental bridge. In terms of cost, a bridge will normally sit between a denture and an implant with prices generally ranging from $2000-3000. You may also be covered by your Health Insurance so all you would need to pay is a smaller gap-payment.